Surviving Widowhood with Writing, Reading, Soccer and Bilingualism

My dear, soccer-playing, profoundly Christian, Colombian husband died in 2005, leaving me with two beautiful boys, Gabriel, 15, and Mario, 13, to raise. As I mourn my husband's loss, I am looking for balance. I need to work as a writer, be a good mother/father, play and teach my sons Spanish!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Akron, Pennyslvania, United States

I'm the author of 16 books for children. The latest are What's It Like to Be Shakira and What's It Like to Be Marta (both bilingual).Others are biographies of Dolores Huerta, Americo Paredes, and the Brazilian soccer player Ronaldinho. My books are published by Mitchell Lane (wwww.mitchelllane.com) and are available through Amazon at my website. Just Click on my profile and then click on my website.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Sept. 18
Too Long a Break!
We had a wonderful weekend at Ocean City, New Jersey. We rode bikes on the board walk, played in the arcades, and drove the go-carts. Oh, yeah, we also swam in the ocean a little. But we neglected the Spanish, as seems to be our custom. When we got back to El Sobrino del Mago tonight, I asked Mario a question about the book and he said, "Yo no sabe," which is a terrible mistake to make, sort of like, "I is" in English. But we kept at it for about 30 minutes and Mario started to loosen up and speak a little more and a little better. But there is a lot to do!
Once the boys were asleep, I wrote a review of two new books published by ediciones iamique in Argentina, Los libros no fueron siempre asi and El cine no fue siempre asi. They were nicely written books, full of good graphics and details, but definitely too factual to be interesting to my children at this point.
I scored my first outdoor goal of the season in my game on Sunday, and then had to leave early to take Gabriel to the Olympic Development Program tryout. Once again there were abou 120 players there, and they all seemed incredibly skillful for 11- and 12-year-old boys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home