Surviving Widowhood with Writing, Reading, Soccer and Bilingualism

My dear, soccer-playing, profoundly Christian, Colombian husband died in 2005, leaving me with two beautiful boys, Gabriel, 15, and Mario, 13, to raise. As I mourn my husband's loss, I am looking for balance. I need to work as a writer, be a good mother/father, play and teach my sons Spanish!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Akron, Pennyslvania, United States

I'm the author of 16 books for children. The latest are What's It Like to Be Shakira and What's It Like to Be Marta (both bilingual).Others are biographies of Dolores Huerta, Americo Paredes, and the Brazilian soccer player Ronaldinho. My books are published by Mitchell Lane (wwww.mitchelllane.com) and are available through Amazon at my website. Just Click on my profile and then click on my website.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Sept. 10, 2006
Just Soccer -- No Spanish
It was not a good weekend for Spanish. We were way to busy with soccer. Gabriel's Under-12 Lanco United team opened their season with a 4 to 0 victory over a team from Concord, Delaware. Mario's Under-10 team, which I coach, lost 4 to 3 against Manheim Central. Almost as soon as Mario's game was over on Saturday, we made some sandwiches, dropped Mario at a friend's house, and headed to the Olympic Development Program tryouts in the Harrisburg area. I had never seen anything like it. There must have been 120 boys there, and a lot of them were really, really good soccer players. The tryout lasted for 90 minutes, but when we got home at about 9 p.m., Gabriel wanted to play tennis under the lights! I was tired and I had not played a game and done a tryout. We did it anyway and had a good game. I can usually beat Gabriel easily but he was beating me.
This afternoon, my over-30 women's team began its season by losing 6 to 0! It was probably the best team in our league. I had fun anyway.
Tomorrow it's back to working on Spanish!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home