Surviving Widowhood with Writing, Reading, Soccer and Bilingualism

My dear, soccer-playing, profoundly Christian, Colombian husband died in 2005, leaving me with two beautiful boys, Gabriel, 15, and Mario, 13, to raise. As I mourn my husband's loss, I am looking for balance. I need to work as a writer, be a good mother/father, play and teach my sons Spanish!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Akron, Pennyslvania, United States

I'm the author of 16 books for children. The latest are What's It Like to Be Shakira and What's It Like to Be Marta (both bilingual).Others are biographies of Dolores Huerta, Americo Paredes, and the Brazilian soccer player Ronaldinho. My books are published by Mitchell Lane (wwww.mitchelllane.com) and are available through Amazon at my website. Just Click on my profile and then click on my website.

Monday, September 10, 2007

Hola Desde Colombia!
We moved here on August 14, with plans to stay for almost a year. It's been a whirlwind of getting the kids enrolled in schools, getting the house set up, and trying to get internet access -- a big priority -- as Gabo kept saying.
Last night one of the 16-year-old guys who was going to play in the usual men's game under the lights in the concrete soccer field in front of my house actually invited me to play! I was thrilled, but I told him I couldn't come until I got the kids to bed. By 8:30, when I went outside, the game was in full swing and being played with lots of intensity, the occasional foul, and some words that I'm pretty sure were vulgarities.
I watched in case anyone needed a sub. When it ended, there was talk about how much money the losers owed the winners. I didn't get the exact amount, but I was relieved, then that I wasn't playing. I'm afraid my skills are not good enough to keep up in a game where young men are playing for pesos!
This morning at breakfast Gabo and Mario and I were talking about this issue. And Gabo said I could just offer to cover everyone's losses. It's an idea, and with my American dollars I can buy lots of pesos, but I think Mario's wisdom might be better.
"When money is involved, I just don't play," he told me.
Spoken like a jaded Colombian school kid!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home