Surviving Widowhood with Writing, Reading, Soccer and Bilingualism

My dear, soccer-playing, profoundly Christian, Colombian husband died in 2005, leaving me with two beautiful boys, Gabriel, 15, and Mario, 13, to raise. As I mourn my husband's loss, I am looking for balance. I need to work as a writer, be a good mother/father, play and teach my sons Spanish!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Akron, Pennyslvania, United States

I'm the author of 16 books for children. The latest are What's It Like to Be Shakira and What's It Like to Be Marta (both bilingual).Others are biographies of Dolores Huerta, Americo Paredes, and the Brazilian soccer player Ronaldinho. My books are published by Mitchell Lane (wwww.mitchelllane.com) and are available through Amazon at my website. Just Click on my profile and then click on my website.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

More Terrible Than Death: Drugs, Violence and America's War in Colombia
By Robin Kirk
I picked up Robin Kirk's book with a little trepidation. I lived in Colombia for a year and read the newspaper every day, so I felt as though I had a pretty good understanding of the violence. But Kirk, who worked for Human Rights Watch in Colombia for four years, does an amazing job of describing Colombia's history, the reasons for the violence, the victims, and the United States' involvement. If every cocaine user in the United States, Canada and Europe had to read this book before they "enjoyed" their white powder, things might actually change. It is long past time that North American drug users took responsibility for the mayhem in Colombia.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Chappell Deckert said...

this book really scared me before I left, but I am planning to re-read it now that I am living here...maybe I will be able to hear it better.

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home